Thursday, July 12, 2012

Review: Three Floyds Black Sun Stout

Let us all have a moment of silence for my last Three Floyds beer. I can't believe it's already gone. Actually, I can. I can't keep my hands off hyped beers. I have IPAs that are close to falling off due to age and here I am opening a stout that could last longer. First world beer problems I suppose. Anyway, Black Sun is an Irish dry stout and comes in at 6.5% ABV. This alcohol level was certainly a nice change of pace.

Commercial description: "6.5% ABV, 50 IBUs - Black Sun has a nose of coffee, roasted malts and piney hops. This medium bodied stout has a broad depth of maltiness and a clean dry finish."

Three Floyds Black Sun Stout
Presentation: 22oz bomber poured into a pint glass.
 
Appearance: It pours pitch black with a half inch head. The lacing was very spotty and vein-like. 

Aroma: This is certainly interesting for an Irish dry stout. There is strong presence of hops and pine with chocolate, coffee, malt, and dark fruit. The dark fruit and pine definitely makes this an interesting take on this style. 

Taste: This is oddly similar to a black IPA. It doesn't quite have the bitterness, but the hop flavor is there. This is very hop forward for an Irish dry stout. Upfront there is tons of pine with coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt. The pine flavor slowly fades as the coffee begins to compliment notes of caramel/toffee and a bit of dark fruit. I have to admit that I didn't think too much of this while drinking my first glass of this. The pine just didn't work for me at all. However, as this warmed up and the flavors really began to show and I could see what FFF is attempting. 

Mouthfeel: Honestly, this is too thin. The bottle states that it's medium body, but it's a shade below that. The carbonation is spot on for the style. There's just enough to bite the tongue. 

Overall: Initially, I was pretty disappointed with this due to the pine. However, I began to fall for it as it warmed. I still knock it for the mouthfeel, which kind of ruins it for me.

4/5
-Lack of body

-Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment