Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Review: Three Floyds Blackheart

I've finally done it! I've tracked down some Three Floyds! Being from such a beer deprived state like West Virginia, this made my week. I traveled roughly 30 minutes into Ashland, Kentucky to Ashland Beverage Center, which was rumored to have Three Floyds. It turns out that they had four different bottles to choose from (Blackheart, Black Sun Stout, Rabid Rabbit, and Gorch Fock). They weren't exactly the bottles I hoped to see, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to try Three Floyds. Because they were so expensive (none were cheaper than $10) I only picked up Blackheart and Black Sun Stout. After waiting only a day since I purchased them I cracked open Blackheart. My expectations for this were pretty high considering the constant praise that Three Floyds gets. I was a bit worried because this is supposedly a hoppy take on an English style IPA. I don't know why, but I've been having problems recently with beers venturing too far outside of their intended style (Dogfish Saison du Buff, Pepe Nero, etc). Nonetheless, this beer clocks in at 78 IBU and 8.5% ABV, which is pretty damn strong for an English style IPA.

Three Floyds Blackheart

Presentation: 220z bomber poured into a pint glass. The label artwork on this is just incredible.

Appearance: Yellow/orange color with a two finger off white head. Not much lacing and a little lighter than expected. The lacing was basically just a thin film that lined the glass at random. 

Aroma: This is just simply wonderful. I would have never expected this from an English IPA. There is plenty of grape, lemon, and citrus with bready malt. I also noticed a bit of spice and alcohol that stung that nose. I don't know how, but it smells like a hopped up English IPA, yet retaining that distinct malt presence. I was afraid that the aroma would focus too much on the hops, but this was very nicely done.

Taste: Wow, this is unlike any English style IPA I've ever had. Up front there is a huge smack of hops and then immediately some sweet malt and caramel come into play. As it sits on your tongue you slowly begin to notice a more complex bouquet with the bread/malt from the aroma, spice, lemon, and oak. As it warmed the flavors really started to show and the alcohol brings some warmth. I would definitely recommend drinking this at or around a cellar temperature. 

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation. There's only a slight prickle on the tongue and this isn't exactly the most drinkable IPA.

Overall: This is spectacular. Knowing that this was going to be a hoppy English style IPA I was worried about this being another beer that was venturing too far outside of the normal style. However, Blackheart is world class. It's hoppy, yet retaining that distinct English style. I don't know of a single English style IPA that can keep up with this. If this wasn't so expensive (I think I paid around $12), I would be picking this up all the time.

5/5

-Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment