Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Review: Green Flash Hop Head Red - Red IPA

Time to review yet another West Coast beer. I was really craving something hoppy so I opted for Green Flash's Hop Head Red - Red IPA. I have absolutely no idea if this is anything like the previously brewed Hop Head Red Ale. If I were to guess, these are two completely different brews due to the fact that they are categorized under different styles on Beer Advocate. Sadly, I have never had Hop Head Red Ale so I can't make comparisons or definite conclusions about their similarity. However, I do hope this is hoppy. Green Flash has never let me down in that department.

Green Flash Hop Head Red - Red IPA

Presentation: 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.The label states that it has been dry hopped with Amarillo hops.

Appearance: Amber color with two finger tan head. Very little lacing was left behind by the end of the glass.

Aroma: I immediately notice pine that is then followed by sweet malt and brown sugar with a little floral character. The malt sweetness is definitely the most prominent note, which is slightly disappointing. A West Coast IPA with a malt backbone? Then again, I can't really compare all of their hoppy beers to Palate Wrecker and West Coast IPA. 

Taste: A tad of bitterness and pine up front that fails to carry throughout the entire taste. It then segues into malt, brown sugar, and grapefruit. There's definitely a malt backbone in this, which made my heart sink. This is good, but it didn't exactly meet my expectations of an IPA. 

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation 

Overall: This just isn't complex or hoppy enough for an IPA and only slightly resembles a red ale. I really feel like this beer is going through an identity crisis. It has the characteristic malt backbone and sweetness of a red ale, but it also reminds you of an IPA due to the dry hopping. I also believe it could have been improved by using Cascade hops instead of Amarillo. All things considered, it is a decent beer, but I doubt I will be revisiting it.

4/5

-Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment